Visas to travel to Australia and how to clear immigration at Perth and Sydney airports

Aside from legal permits to enter the country with the aim of receiving specific medical treatment and special category visas for nationals of New Zealand and other territories, there are three main types of travel visas to enter Australia for tourism or business purposes. The information provided in this post is merely informative and we recommend making your application through the official website of the Australian government. However, reading our tips will help you determine which Australian visa you need to apply for, plus you will get acquainted with the requirements of each category beforehand.

Are you preparing a surf holiday in Perth? Is it your lifelong dream to explore Sydney with your friends? Read the information below carefully and start planning your trip.

Travelling to Australia with a Visitor Visa

The Visitor Visa is valid for those intending to visit Australia on holiday, to enrol in educational courses of up to 3 months of duration, to see relatives or meet up with friends and to attend business meetings and events. Under no circumstance will travellers holding this kind of permit work for an Australian employee, sell products or provide services during their stay. As long as they only enjoy their vacation, attend their programs and/or see their potential partners, they will be allowed to stay for three, six or twelve months. The conditions of this Australian travel visa may vary contingent upon your age, the purpose of your trip, the country where you are flying from and the nationality of your passport. Processing fees start from 140 AUD (90 euros approximately), and issuing times range from two days to two months, so you are strongly advised to submit your application well in advance.

Electronic Travel Authorisation to enter Australia

The primary condition to apply for the Electronic Travel Authorisation to visit Australia is that you must be outside the country when submitting your application. It allows you to enter the country freely over the course of a year for either leisure or business purposes, although each stay period cannot be longer than three months. The processing fee is 20 AUD (13 euros approximately) and travellers with the following passports are eligible to obtain it: Brunei, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and USA. If your country is not on the list, you may still check the official page to confirm whether you can apply, as we have omitted passports that can equally get the eVisitor visa to travel to Australia, which is free, is issued under the same conditions and has faster processing times.

The eVisitor permit to visit Australia for foreign travellers

As stated above, this electronic visa to enter Australia grants the same rights as the Electronic Travel Authorisation but is issued free of charge in a record time of one or two business days. You must also be outside the country when applying for it. Being granted the eVisitor authorisation means you have been electronically approved to travel to Australia without the need for going through an immigration office, yet only those with a passport from the following countries can get one: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Republic of San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Vatican City.

Steps to clear immigration when landing in Australia with a traveller Visa

Will you be arriving in either Sydney or Perth airport from overseas? Remember you will need to show the immigration officers three documents upon your arrival: your approved Visa or authorisation, your passport and the Incoming Passenger Card provided by your airline during the inbound flight already filled out. After doing so, you will be cleared to proceed to claim baggage, yet when you collect your bags you will probably be guided towards the ACBPS x-ray screening to ensure you are not bringing any hazardous material into the country.

Going through the Smart Gates in Perth and Sydney airports

The process described above can get even simpler if you have an electronic passport (e-passport) issued in Australia, Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, Japan, South Korea, Macao, New Zealand, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom or USA and are at least 16 years old. Passengers holding this sort of identification are eligible to go through the Smart Gates of the airports in Australia and be cleared through electronic methods and face recognition technology.